Posted Friday, October 7
It looks like Raleigh has dodged the big storm this time around. However, the rain that started today is forecast to continue into Saturday and possibly Sunday morning and is delaying some of the major work that was scheduled this weekend.
Contractors coordinated with NC State and student housing management to close Dan Allen Drive and Friendly Drive during Fall Break, which started this past Wednesday. With today’s rain the streets have reopened to traffic since no work is going taking place along the corridor, and with the forecast for tomorrow looking very much the same, we anticipate no work taking place in those locations again tomorrow.
The goal was to install a large underground electrical vault On Dan Allen and to install the new 16-inch watermain across Friendly Drive. For safety reasons, this work required that those streets be closed to traffic while the work was performed.
On Thursday, crews installed a 24’ X 32’ underground electrical box on Dan Allen Drive. (See the photo-montage that accompanies this update, and more photos are on our Facebook page.) Crews also began working on installing the conduit that will connect the vault with the recently installed duct bank now running under Hillsborough Street from Concord Street to Gardner Street.
On Wednesday night, Thursday, and Thursday night crews installed a 16-inch watermain across Friendly Drive.
In other construction news, crews tied in the new watermain to the current phase 1 watermain at Gardner Street, some temporary sanitary sewer rerouting work was done in front of the Wilmont Apartments, a sanitary sewer bypass was installed at Stanhope Avenue, the storm drain work at Concord Street is now complete, and the temporary traffic signal work has started along the corridor.
The corridor continues to see a lot of underground utility work in the coming week.
- The underground electrical conduit connections at Dan Allen will wrap up and then crews will move to a section across from the Man Mur Shopping Center to run connecting conduit to future vault location in that shopping center’s parking lot.
- Crews will begin installing the new sewer lines, on the south side of Hillsborough Street, from Concord Street to Stanhope Avenue.
- Crews will continue to install the new watermain on the south side of the street running from Friendly Drive to Concord Street.
- PSNC will be relocating their gas lines on Friendly Drive.
- Temporary traffic signal work will continue at the Rosemary Street/Shephard Street intersection.
- Night crews will start running new storm drain from Friendly Drive east to the 2811 Building to tie into a future rain garden enclosure.