Posted Thursday, August 10
The work on the north side is moving fast.
Pipeline Utility crews started north side construction activity at the beginning of July, and in that months’ time there has been lots of work completed, such as;
- Crews installed the storm drains from Dixie Trail to Bagwell Avenue and from Brooks Avenue to Gardner Street;
- Another team installed a sanitary sewer main along a portion of Bagwell Avenue to just shy of Brooks Avenue;
- The night crew installed another sanitary sewer main and started the water main work on a portion of Brooks Avenue;
- Some of the sanitary sewer services for businesses along the north side of Hillsborough Street were moved from the old sanitary sewer main to the new primary sanitary sewer pipe;
- The basic grading work at the Brooks Avenue corner is now complete;
- Asphalt stamping work at Founders Drive and Brooks Avenue was also completed at the beginning of the August; (Oh, and by the way, it looks great!)
- PSNC relocated gas a line between Gardner Street and another one on Brooks Avenue.
The next few of weeks are on target to be just as busy. Here is a rundown of what we can expect to see going on along the corridor for rest of August;
- A crew will install storm drains between Bagwell Avenue and Brooks Avenue;
- The water main on Bagwell Avenue is scheduled for installation starting August 14;
- The night crew is expected to install the rest of the water main on a portion of Brooks Avenue;
- Certified Concrete will begin installing new curb and gutter from Brooks Avenue to Gardner Street;
- Carolina Conduit Systems will install the underground electrical and telecommunication conduit from Brooks to Gardner and then from Dixie Trail to Bagwell Avenue;
- More sewer services will be reconnected;
- Southern gardens will install the tree wells between Brooks Avenue and Gardner Street;
- Work will start on the retaining wall located at the NC State parking lot on Brooks Avenue;
- A full weekend detour is tentatively scheduled to take place Friday night, August 25, through Sunday night, August 27, while water and sewer mains are brought across Hillsborough Street at Shepherd Street.
With all this work going on along the north side of Hillsborough Street, it is imperative to follow all pedestrian detours.
Hillsborough Street Pedestrians, please use the new sidewalks on the south side of the street for walking east and west along the corridor. Refrain from using the sidewalks on the north side as much as possible. The sidewalls along the north side of the street are not passable in many places and are inside the construction zone, which can put pedestrians at risk for injury. Even if work is not actively in progress in a section, the area is still dangerous for pedestrians. And pedestrians in the work zone are a distraction to the workers, which puts everyone at risk.
Cross walks are located at Gardner Street and Dixie Trail for access to the local businesses. If pedestrians need to walk inside of the work zone to gain access to business, we ask that you exercise extreme caution.
Please note: Pedestrian crossing signals for crossing Hillsborough Street are in the process of being added at Dan Allen Drive.
- NC State’s first day of classes is Wednesday, August 16;
- Packapalooza, Saturday, August 19;
- Meredith College Classes resume Wednesday, August 23.